You can easily save money using things you probably already have in your home. For example: baking soda. Baking soda is a common ingredient in baked goods, and most people also keep an open box in the refrigerator as a deodorant.
But you may not know these other ways you can use it:
1. Polish silver – By mixing baking soda with a little water, you have a solution that can remove tarnish from silver. It may take some elbow grease and repetitions though.
2. Fill a hole in the wall – If you mix baking soda with a little glue, you’ll have a paste that can be used to fill small holes in the wall. Instant spackle without a trip to the hardware store!
3. Get rid of strong smells from your hands – Did you recently chop onions and now can’t get the smell off your hands? Rub your hands with a little baking soda and water to get rid of that problem.
4. Extinguish fires – You can throw baking soda on grill fires to safely extinguish the flame and keep food safe to eat.
5. Keep flowers fresh – Just throw a teaspoon of baking soda in the vase to keep flowers alive longer.
6. Keep dishwasher from smelling – You know that smell of mildew your dishwasher can get when you’re on vacation? Sprinkle some baking soda inside, leave the door slightly open, and you’ll come back to no horrible smell.
7. Use as an ointment – Baking soda can be mixed with a little water and put on bug bites, poison ivy and sunburn for quick relief.
8. Keep laundry basket from smelling – You can sprinkle a bit of baking soda in the bottom of your laundry basket to keep it from smelling.
9. Make clay – Two cups of baking soda, one cup of corn starch and about one and a half cups of water can make modeling clay.
10. Freshen up your hair – Need to run to the store after working out? If you’re feeling conscious about your sweaty head, simply flip your head down, sprinkle some baking soda on the back, then work it through your hair. You’ll feel (and smell) much fresher.
We’ll look at other household items in future posts – stay tuned! Feel free to leave your baking soda suggestions in the comments.